Solid Waste Training and Technical Assistance Program
Free Technical Assistance
For the 2010-2014 federal fiscal years (Oct 2010- Sept 2014), Zender Environmental is able to offer free solid waste related technical assistance to all rural Alaska villages, thanks to a generous grant from USDA. Assistance is provided on a first come first serve basis, with some slots prioritized for high-needs villages. Click here for examples of technical assistance we are able to provide. Staff has been providing technical assistance, research, and grantwriting to Alaska Native Villages for over ten years, so we are able to share the useful information from Villages around the State on what has worked. Whether you attend a solid waste plan training or not, we can help you apply for USDA water/waste grants or provide other solid waste assistance for free. Fill out this form and email or fax it to us and we will get back to you. Request Form
If you have any questions, please contact Simone Sebalo email@example.com Tel: 907 277 2111.
Fax: 1 877 335 6780 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
December 9-13, 2013 COMBINED TRAINING - Integrated Solid Waste Management Planning (ISWMP) Training, AND Sustainable Solid Waste Management (SSWM) Training, Anchorage
May 14-16, 2014 Water Quality Training, Anchorage
August 6-8, 2014 Integrated Solid Waste Management Planning (ISWMP) Training, Anchorage
September 10-12, 2014 Sustainable Solid Waste Management (SSWM) Training, Anchorage
Description of Trainings
Water Quality Training May 14-16, 2014
This is a USDA funded training, coordinated by Zender Environmental Health and Research Group. The training will involve 1 classroom day plus 2 field days at a local creek and one classroom hands-on instruction day. Students learn how to take their own samples to send for contaminant testing in the lab, how to test on-site for fecal coliform, and how to sample and monitor for the basic water quality parameters using a YSI probe and turbidity meter. The focus of the training is to educate students on the complexities of developing and implementing a sampling and monitoring plan.
Sustainable Solid Waste Management (SSWM) Training September 10-12, 2014
This is also a USDA funded training, coordinated by Zender Environmental Health and Research Group. This training explores in-depth several topics needed to manage your solid waste program. Some of the training topics will include: developing codes and ordinances; packaging and shipping recyclables, haz waste, e-waste; landfill problem solving, and solid waste funding. Click here for a past sample agenda.
There is a $475 travel stipend for participants who complete the 3-day training.
Alaska Integrated Solid Waste Management Plan (ISWMP) Training August 6-8, 2014
Zender Environmental and USDA Rural Development are pleased to offer the Alaska Integrated Solid Waste Management Plan (AISWMP) training in downtown Anchorage. Participants work on a laptop and enter information directly into a plan template that is the first of it’s kind in the nation. (Click here for more information about the ISWMP template). By the end of the training, you will have a draft of a solid waste plan specific for your community. These trainings have been ongoing since 2006 and incorporate nearly 100 Alaska communities’ comments into making them specific and useful to rural Alaska.
Details of the ISWMP training:
- $475 travel stipend for participants who complete the 3-day training
- Training is free
- Training is for Alaska Tribes to maximize learning from other Villages what has worked well.
- Template is built around Alaska situations
- Template and training can be used for a full waste plan or a component of a your waste program
- Learn how to use the computer to address solid waste management problems, like sizing a dumpster
- Learn how to make a chart or graph in Excel
- Learn how to work with picture images and drawing tools
- Learn how to carry out a waste characterization
- Calculate your special wastes, such as electronics, batteries, used oil
- Calculate your construction wastes
- Learn to use Excel for budgeting
- Individual instruction for individual SWM problems
- Alaska-based agency speakers on funding opportunities with opportunity to network
- Open to folks who want a refresher or who wish to learn more about planning
- Meet, network, and discuss with other Alaska Tribes what works and what doesn’t
- Technical assistance is available after workshop completion to help you finish your plan or implement your plan
To apply for any of the trainings listed above:
Click here to download the application and travel form
You can scan and email the form (both pages) to email@example.com or fax to 1 877 335 6780
If you have any questions about these trainings, please contact Simone Sebalo at firstname.lastname@example.org, 907 277 2111.
This is an Equal Opportunity Program. Discrimination is prohibited by Federal law. Complaints of discrimination may be filed with the Secretary of Agriculture, Washington, D.C. 20250.